Thursday, August 12, 2010

Baby wearing confidence booster

Since before E was born, lots of people recommended baby wearing to me. I thought it would be super cool, a great way to bond, and my ticket to freedom! By that I mean, the ability to still hold my baby, but be hands free and able to do stuff around the house or out and about. Well, I've learned the hard way that not all babies like to be worn, or at least not in the same way. Since E was born we've been given 3, yes 3! different baby wearing contraptions. The moby wrap, the ergo carrier, and a sling. All were VERY highly recommended to me. I didn't really intend to get all 3, but so it happened.

The ergo was supposed to be for when she was bigger, it supports weight very well, but after many failed attempts to use the moby, we bought the infant insert for the ergo. The problem with the moby, for our baby, was that she did not like to have her head constricted, and given that newborns have no head control, her head had to be a bit held down by a flap. She didn't mind this when sleeping, but at that age, when sleeping, I could put her down, and which was even more hands free. The ergo seemed promising because she would sit upright and her head could have support but not be constricted. This worked for a while, until she decided she also did not like her legs to be constricted. Again, I think the ergo will be great for her later, when she's big enough to let her legs dangle out the sides. Then came the sling, also recommened fabulously by multiple people, but again same problems with head and leg constriction....UNTIL NOW! Hence this post.

So you have my baby wearing story set up...now for the scene set up...all the set up is very necessary because it's such a tiny moment of victory, that it would seem insignificant without the background :)

The past 2 weeks Little Miss E has decided she's against napping, and also against sleeping through the night. She did the latter a couple times maybe a month ago, but not since then. And now she likes to take 30 min naps...and that's about it. Not a lot of time for ME to nap, let alone do much else. Let's hope I can type fast, cause she's napping now. Anyway, exhausted me doesn't get out and do much, mostly because I tell myself how tired I am and how much work it is to get out and do stuff. For example...grocery shopping alone is a dangerous matter. If E gets fussy, what to do? Leave the groceries and go? It's also hard to push a stroller and a shopping cart, cause my car seat doesn't fit well on top of carts. Again...dreaming of baby wearing, hoping beyond hope, I could put her in any one of the above contraptions, have her close to me and comforted, but still able to walk around the store freely and put things in my cart.

Well we've been working on two different sling positions at home, one with her feet out, and one with her sitting facing out so she can see the world. The facing out position has been working, but I find it puts pressure on her tummy and makes her spit up. The other day we were slinging it up and watering the plants, when she urpped all her meal all over the two of us. Ugh. Another fail.

Ok ok ok, you are wondering, where is this stream of consciousness rant going. Here it comes. TODAY. Today I'm exhausted, no napping, not much sleeping, and feeling kind of stuck at home without energy to do much. I finally psych myself up to go to the store. I have no idea what to buy, no mental capacity to make a shopping list, but man, I need to get out of the house. And gosh darn it, I'm gonna use my sling. So, after E's sat up a while after feeding, to minimize spit up. I plop her in the car seat, grab the sling, and off we go.

We get to the shopping center. First stop Rite Aid. Into the sling facing out. Bib on, burp cloth in her lap ready and waiting. Hoping she doesn't get it all over me and the sling, or even worse, someone in the store. In we go, she's content so far, and we get our items. In the check out line I get behind another mom....oh yes, here it comes...with her baby in a sling. Her son is a bit older, but he's in the exact same sling I have! I've never even seen anyone with this brand of sling before. In fact, in my quest for the right baby holder, I was even doubting the brand of sling I got, even though knowing they are all the same idea. This mom talked about how great it was and so comfortable. I told her how it was hard to find positions for my little one, but there we were, in Ride Aid basking in hands free shopping freedom!

Rite Aid was quick then on to Trader Joes. Again, no list, so I'm just wandering in the store. I can't see E's face, but she's not making any sounds, and everyone keeps telling me what a calm baby I have. Right now, yes, I tell them. That's why we're here :). Anyway, through my random browsing at TJs, and through the check out, she was content and did not spit up on her bib, burp cloth, or anyone else for that matter.

SUCCESS! Success I say! Thank you God! There you have it. My itty bitty moment of confidence boosting. I hope it's enough for me to go to the store again next week. Or who knows...maybe we'll go somewhere even more exciting!

Gotta go, my 30 minute timer is going off...and no, I'm not just writing that for dramatic effect.

3 comments:

  1. ah yes, you must enjoy every little success!
    sorry you've had such a hard two weeks. dalton went through some sleep rebellions too. they never last. it just seems to happen when they reach some sort of developmental milestone and then they don't want to sleep and miss out!

    i've had people recommend to me to breastfeed while babywearing. they make it sound great, like you just go around doing stuff while your baby snuggles up and gets what he needs. but in principle i could never get it to work out. although, i admit, i didn't try that hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this pattern, or lack there of, has been going on for so long, I fear it is the new normal.

    I agree breastfeeding and baby wearing seemed like the epitome of hands free freedom, but at this rate, I dont think I'll get there. But thats ok. Just grocery shopping is good for me! What baby wearing device did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hot sling and baby bjorn. both were fine, but i wouldn't rave.

    ReplyDelete