Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Vamos a Pachira

The next morning we got up at 5 something AM to leave San Jose and go to our first exotic destination, Pachira Lodge in Tortuguero.

We got on a very colorful bus.
I, on the other hand, was not feeling so colorful after a few days of no sleep and a very early morning with no breakfast and no coffee.But we saw beautiful scenery as we drove across a very small country. Through the mountains and over rivers.
Finally we arrived at a river where our journey would continue by boat to Pachira. Pachira and most other lodges in the Tortuguero national forest are only accessible by boat. There are many canals in this area that are the main passages for transportation.
On our boat ride to Pachira, we saw lots and lots of wild life, including these river birds...which look a lot like pink flamingos, but are not. I think they are a kind of herring.
Once we got to Pachira, we were pretty much exausted. We checked in to our room and had lunch. There was some tour in the afternoon of the 'town' near by, but we opted out for a lazy afternoon instead. We explored about around the lodge and met one of our neighbors. This kind of spider was just about everywhere we went in Costa Rica. They make these yellow webs that are extremely strong. You can pull on them and they don't break. We were told that there were experiments done using this material to make space suits because it is so strong.
Our other neighbors were much more tame. We also did some relaxing in the turtle shaped pool. Since most other people had opted for the tour, we had it all to ourselves.









While Wes swam, I tried to get a picture of the howler monkeys that were taunting us from the trees. This is the best I could do.

3 comments:

  1. Great pics! I love the colors of that bus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the monkey? I don't see it! That looks so awesome...even the spider isn't too gross...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a great monkey pic. we saw monkeys, but were never close enough to get any pictures.

    ReplyDelete