Sunday, March 5, 2006

50 miles is TOO many

Yesterday my friend and I, who are training with me for the Cinderella 100k (63 miles) bike ride, went out on a 50 mile ride. We had gone 45 the week before, so I thought 50 wouldn't be too bad. At around 30 miles I was feeling like I was ready to stop. But...I was 20 miles from home.

My friend was very tired. But then again, she is also training for a triathlon, and that morning, her tri club had gone for an 18 mile hill ride, and then she ran 5 miles...AND THEN she rode 50 miles with me. I feel like a baby for feeling so pooped.

When I got home, Wes was waiting out side and he had called his mom to wish her happy birthday. He told her that I just came back from a 50 mile ride. There was a pause while she responded...then he said..."No, it was training." Clearly she, like most sane people think 50 miles sounds like a heck of a lot...like a crazy race or something. But no...not for me that day...just TRAINING!

I think I have come to grips with my insanity. 50 miles is TOO many.

8 comments:

  1. That's how I felt about Cinderella: 63 miles is too darn long! You do know, though, that you will have 3 breaks during Cinderella that you can make as long as you like. Mostly they're for consuming calories to keep you going. And even an olympic-distance triathlon bike ride will never look long again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it. If I have any faith at all, my friend, I have faith in you. And that's saying something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're sweet Andrea. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 50 miles too many? Nope. Stop that thinking. Let's hear "I did 50 miles, and it felt great!" I am in awe of you, 50 miles-amazing! But of course you rode that many, you're an athlete. It's what you do! Wildflower will seem sooo easy and the next sprint tri you do, you'll be finished before you even got started! Hang in, you're doing great. And hey! Cinderella is March 25th-why aren't you running Mermaid on Sunday? If I can do it...me, the crippled one... C'mon...give the bike a rest and come for a run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Run the day after a 63 mile ride? NO THANK YOU. I will also have friends in town so I have more amunition to resit you whahahahaha. Which distance are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you could hobble. ;)
    Consider it a delayed brick workout. :) I'm not sure which distance yet-depends on how the leg feels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elaaainnne-come run with meee.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 50 miles on a bicycle is nothing. When I was 5 I had to walk 20 miles to school in the snow.

    ReplyDelete